Saturday, 31 May 2014

May CTC and June challenges

30
18 pts
Empty the Tanks I3282.2m
David Hannan (H)
Jeff Kuecker (H)
Bill_Schmidt (L)
Rob Drury (L)
Karyn McNamara (F)

We floated one boat in this months Cross Team Challenge. Well done to David H, Jeff K, Bill, Rob D and Karyn for some very good entires for the French Kiss interval sets.

For the first time since May 2009 I wasn't able to participate in the CTC due to my knee and toe injuries. I had an MRI scan on my knee on Friday so will find out what recovery programme I've got soon - hopefully if things go well I will be back with you guys for the June CTC which is a 10k session with a 24 spm max stroke rate restriction. Interesting.

Talking of interesting stuff Jo completed her first half marathon this month with a very impressive time of 2 hrs 6 mins. Excellent stuff Jo!

Dave H completed a full marathon for the May Global Marathon Challenge earlier in the month along with Rowan, Karyn, Norman, John G, Leslie, Rob D and Steve C who all rowed a half marathon. Excellent work ETT'ers.

Did any of you achieve a PB?
Any tips and advice for the Summer Solstice Challenge on the 21st June?





Row 21,000 metres to celebrate the Summer Solstice on the 21st June. You can split the total metres into smaller chunks throughout the 24 hour period or add 97 metres and row a half marathon (if you choose this option you have to do the 21,097 metres in one continuous row to qualify for the rankngs).









So to summerise the next few challenges:
  • June CTC is 10,000 metres max spm of 24
  • Summer Solstice 21,000 metres on 21st June (or 21,097 half marathon)
  • The deadline for the Challenge Series 500 metres is 11pm 1st June

13 comments:

  1. My dream of rowing a full marathon for the first time in my life were hijacked by 3 weeks away on business trips :( Another 2 weeks and on the road again... seems the times I was able to build up a rhythm are over, still glad last season I managed to break 2M, maybe a modest 1.5M this season will be more realistic. All the best to all the ETTers this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on your 2mm achievement D!

      Delete
  2. Sorry forgot to mention, hope the recovery goes well Captain...and how did you break your little toe...it is bound to be funny to the rest of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew somebody would ask - I broke it by getting into the bath!
      I won't go any further with descriptions but because my knee is still not 100% I can't bend it fully and I just cracked my little toe on my newly installed metal bath ; ) happy days.... not

      Delete
  3. First day of winter yesterday - cold & wet with the rower still outside - I had my first attempt at the CTC - but finished up rowing blind, because my glasses fogged up, and I couldn't see the monitor - anyone overcome this problem??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry David this is a new one for me I don't wear glasses... install mini windscreen wipers?
      Anybody out there got any suggestions?

      Delete
    2. David - move the erg inside !!! It is actually raining here today in Santiago, what joy..hopefully it will clean up the winter smog a little !

      Delete
  4. Caroline, sorry to hear about your injury problems....those baths can be a minefield!, I hope it all mends quickly and you can get back to some training. I have been keeping an eye on how everyone was doing, some great rowing going on, but I was pretty much absent from the Erg for the majority of May. The build up and then recovery from a holiday to Las Vegas, the first proper holiday my wife and I have managed without children (they weren't too pleased to be left behind), took out ten days or so and then with the nice weather, I have been more inclined to get out on the bike, which I have been doing quite a lot of, and on the water rowing, which I managed for the first time this year at the end of last week. The only Erging I managed, was a slow HM just after I got back and though I didn't submit a CTC, I did check to make sure I wasn't needed (-: To make up for it, I battled to a 10k r24 last night, it's difficult to keep going when you get into a period of handle downs, so was pleased to have done it early. I hope everyone has a good month. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Glad you had a great holiday to Vegas! Sounds like you had fun ; )
      Glad to have you back with us and it was a good idea to get the 10k done and dusted early on.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Diggy - that is the obvious solution - but I already have 1 room full of weights, punching bag etc, that the boys use - they do not like the rower, so I will have to wait until they leave home to rearrange the gym (or take over a bedroom), or become interested in the rower - I have resigned myself to sitting outside this winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, sounds like you are quite the caring father. On the positive side, as it gets really cold, maybe your times will improve as you row harder to keep warm :)

      Delete
  6. Hi all. Hope to see you back on the erg soon Caroline. Ive been trying to get back into regular rowing again over the last 4 weeks. Didn't do too many meters over April because I hit the big 40 so took myself off to Singapore for a few weeks to drink and be merry. Well done to Jo on your first half marathon. Mine was quite slow for the challenge but it did toughen up the callouses again on the hands after a month off. Managed the June CTC today. Actually did my fastest 10k since 2008...did it online which gave me the incentive to keep going because my other two attempts earlier this week resulted in handles down. David-can you buy anti fogging spray for your glasses? I think you used to be able to.
    Happy rowing all
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your 40th celebrations sound fab. Glad to have you back to regular erging again Karyn.
      Amazing news on your 10k PB! Nice one - such a good feeling when you smash through a previous time.
      I hope to get back to my usual erging soon but the Doc says build up slowly (10 mins a day) - so it looks like a 10k will be realistically out of synch with my recovery programme this month ; (

      Delete